The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will have a strong learning acumen and the ability to get a firm grasp on the mechanical aspects of our products. You should enjoy tinkering with things and learning how and why parts fit together.
To meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
Additionally, to be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- BA/BS in Business, Engineering, Marketing or similar.
- At least 5 years of product line management experience in a technical, mechanical, manufacturing or related industry.
- Customer focused marketing research, product management, engineering, industry, or product development experience highly valued.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation).
- Hands-on attitude and work ethic.
- Knowledge of door hardware and lock industry including strong insights into existing and emerging mechanical and electromechanical locking technologies preferred.
- Working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing principles and processes.
- Self-starter mentality with ability to motivate others without direct reporting relationship.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and page layout software.
- A goal and performance oriented mindset.
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative and dynamic team structure.
- Demonstrated creativity, ambition, energy and drive for results and solutions.
- Experience with JD Edwards and/or SolidWorks is preferred but not required.
Medeco is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor/EO employer: Veterans/Disabled, and other protected categories.
The RoleReporting directly to the Vice President, Medeco Intelligent Keys, and High Security Aftermarket (HSAM) Special Projects at ASSA ABLOY, as the Medeco Mechanical Product Line Manager you will be responsible for maintaining Medeco’s global leadership position relative to its world-class mechanical product lines. You’ll join a dynamic and market-oriented product management team where your mission will be to keep the mechanical products relevant and continue ongoing revenue and profit growth. Our overall goal in this area will be to keep making better and better mechanical products to keep gaining new market share, and you will be a key driver for this initiative.
You will take ownership of new and existing product and related program strategy, management, rationalization, pricing, branding conformance, and overall profitability of the products. You’ll also be a contributor to other product and program strategies that overlap to the core mechanical products, and will be expected to help lead the Medeco vision.
More specifically, your key responsibilities will be to:
- Understand, grow, and communicate Medeco’s competitive and market position in alignment with Medeco vision.
- Grow/expand mechanical product lines – seek new product opportunities and bring them to market in order to meet the accelerating market demands.
- Evaluate all mechanical product opportunities for fit to vision, strategy and ROI to determine priority for resources by management team.
- Project manage new and derivative products from inception to completion of launch.
- Lead product launches including marketing activities, promotions, events, collateral, and
- sales force education leveraging both internal and external resources.
- Lead VA/VE projects for continuous improvement of product lines.
- Monitor mechanical product sales and profit growth.
- Manage pricing, special pricing, and system pricing.
- Participate in annual product business planning to achieve Medeco’s sales and profit goals.
- Maintain 3 year product road map.
- Manage and coordinate all communications and training introductions required for internal
- (marketing, sales force, customer service, technical services) and external customers prior to
- the launch of any new products.
- Serve as primary contact for manufacturing issues relating to mechanical products.
- Facilitate and promote dialog between engineering, end-users and channel partners to nurture a strong connection to customer needs.
- Play principal role in annual catalog and price book development to ensure accurate representation of mechanical products.
- Serve as representative in appropriate corporate technology or product councils.
- Manage independent testing and certification requirements, serving as Medeco representative
- in alignment to corporate strategy.
- Provide ongoing reporting, including forecasts for project and product reviews.
- Perform responsibilities in accordance with all company standards, policies and procedures.
- Manage other related duties as required.
Why MedecoStrategic, global impact
Traditionally, Medeco has been a very mechanically-oriented company, and things are evolving as we begin to implement more software and technology into our product lines. But this doesn’t mean that the mechanical components will become obsolete--in fact, they are the very foundation of all of our product offerings, including our new electronic products. We can’t be successful at our new electronic strategy if we are not successful in defending, maintaining and growing our mechanical strategy. You will play a key role in ensuring the overall success of the products that are the foundation of the company!
Autonomy and resources
We know you'll bring strong mechanical experience and knowledge with you, so we'll expect you to assume ownership of these products and run with it. You will enjoy a good deal of freedom to create, develop and deploy strategies and tactics. At the same time, you'll be part of a strong team, and able to share ideas and insights with internal resources as well as colleagues in other areas of ASSA ABLOY around the world.
Commitment to innovation
We are constantly evolving our product line to take advantage of the most current technologies. In addition, in order to provide the highest level of security, we reinvent our patented platforms on a regular basis. Continuous improvement is embedded in our culture.
It should be clear by now that there will be plenty to learn in this role, even for a seasoned professional like yourself. Prove yourself in this role -- both your mechanical expertise and your business savvy -- and you might set your sights on moving up to a leadership role or take on special project management responsibilities.
We've created a culture that allows talented, energetic people to flourish. That culture includes a strong belief in the value delivered by our products and solutions, an emphasis on integrity and an appreciation for the power of teamwork. We're a dynamic organization that continues to develop its people. These are just some of the reasons we have low turnover and many of our employees have been here for years; people like working for our company.
Great place to live and work
The Roanoke Valley region (see video above) is home to over 300,000 people, making it the largest metropolitan area in Western Virginia and the heart of Virginia's Blue Ridge. Whether you prefer a city feel or one of our quaint surrounding small towns, there is something for everyone. Consider these accolades:
- Expansion Management magazine named Roanoke one of the top 50 hottest cities for expansions and relocations.
- Expansions Management also named the Roanoke Valley as a Five-Star Community for quality of life. The rating is based on reasonable cost of living, affordable housing, low crime, excellent transportation access, good public schools, proximity to community colleges and universities, an educated workforce, and low taxes.
- Named by Inc. Magazine as one of the 100 best places for business development.
- "Cities Ranked and Rated" ranked Roanoke as the 11th best city in the United States.
- Money Magazine ranked the Roanoke Valley as one of the top three "Best Places to Retire" in the United States.
- Ranked by Forbes.com as one of the 100 best places for businesses and careers.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer comprehensive benefits. These include all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, such as a company contribution to your 401(k) account plus a matching program, tuition reimbursement and access to our Wellness Program with an on-site wellness clinic.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will leverage your mechanical aptitude and strong learning acumen to become our subject matter expert in this area. We will look to you to quickly get up to speed on the thousands of little parts and cylinders that make up the products in the mechanical line. You’ll be involved with everything from pricing strategy and tactics to helping to launch new products.
Additionally, to truly thrive here you will be an influencer who can gain buy-in and credibility with key contacts throughout the organization. We’re looking for a professional who can lead the charge and bring new ideas to the table. You’ll have the opportunity to showcase your mechanical clout and credibility as you share information and collaborate with departments such as Marketing, Sales, Operations, Product Development, and others.
A crucial part of our success at Medeco and across ASSA ABLOY is a culture that places a high value on sharing a common vision, trusting one another, and being transparent. Add in your critical thinking skills and strong work ethic, and you should fit right in. As you can see in the video here, our teammates believe in our products.Video: Hear why Medeco's employees are so passionate about the products they make.
About UsFor nearly 50 years, Medeco® has led the security industry in innovation and quality, guarding lives and assets at facilities worldwide. Medeco® locks are made with pride in the U.S.A. Our headquarters and manufacturing facility are located in Salem, Virginia and we employ approximately 250 people.
Medeco® locks protect U.S. government and military installations, both here and abroad, as well as schools and universities, hospitals and banks, vending machines and parking meters, homes and offices, and much, much more.
Founded in 1968, Medeco® is a market leader in locks and locking systems for security, safety, and control. The company's customer base includes wholesale and retail security providers, original equipment manufacturers, institutional, commercial, industrial, and residential end-users.
Medeco® is an ASSA ABLOY Group company. ASSA ABLOY is the global leader in door-opening solutions -- some you might already use on a daily basis without even thinking about it. The Group offers a more complete range of door opening solutions than any other company on the market. In the fast-growing electromechanical security segment, the Group has a leading position in areas such as access control, identification technology, entrance automation and hotel security. Since its formation in 1994, ASSA ABLOY has grown from a regional company into an international Group with some 43,000 employees operating in more than 70 countries. The Group has sales of around SEK 47 billion (US$ 7 billion).
ASSA ABLOY's mission is to provide complete opening solutions, backed by value-added services, to help people feel safer and more secure, thus creating more freedom in their lives.
We are an equal opportunity employer -- M/F/V/D.