RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Product Line Manager opportunity, you also should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering or other relevant field; an MBA is a plus
- 5 to 10 years of successful product management experience with a proven record of product line growth,
- Experience in planning, budgeting and developing business strategy
- Demonstrated project management skills; PMP certification is a plus
- Mechanical aptitude as well as a basic understanding of software-driven products; experience with connected and/or cloud-based products is preferred
- Strong competence in Microsoft business applications, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word. Extensive database knowledge would be beneficial
- Familiarity with recurring revenue models is preferred
- An entrepreneurial spirit and the flexibility to thrive in an environment in which change is common
- Excellent presentation, communication and customer skills
- Strong teamwork and leadership abilities
Role OverviewNote: this is a high level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
Reporting to the General Manager, Medeco eCylinders and Vice President, High Security Aftermarket (HSAM) Special Projects, you will join a team that also includes another Product Manager and an Infrastructure Engineer. You'll be closely matrixed to the overall Medeco Product Management team as well as Operations and Sales. In addition, you will work with ASSA ABLOY's global development group.
You will be responsible for the strategic management and deployment of existing and new Medeco CLIQ products and line extensions. You'll have high visibility within the global community, and act as the liaison between our organization and the spoken and unspoken needs of Medeco end-users and channel partners. You'll also be responsible to leverage the new technology platforms available from other ASSA ABLOY group companies into trend-setting and innovative new products for Medeco.
In addition, you will leverage your experience and expertise to help establish best practices across the Product Management team. We believe a strong leader can help the team be more strategic over a three to five year horizon, and better drive the eCylinder agenda to the global community. In addition, leverage existing tools as well as create tools that will help us not only monitor and measure success, but also raise the visibility of our products and successes across the organization. We're also open to your suggestions for raising the bar.
Essential functions of this role include:
- Driving CLIQ and overall Intelligent Key sales growth through product management functions, contributing to meet or exceed the annual sales plan
- Managing CLIQ new product launches to be on-time and maximize the sales organizations for growth
- Maintaining strong gross margin growth for the CLIQ product mix
- Growing and expanding the line, continually seeking new product opportunities within all Intelligent Key technologies and bringing them to market in a rapid and efficient manner
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of the role. To get the 30,000-foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
As Product Line Manager, you will:
- Manage CLIQ Intelligent Key product lines, including product derivatives, enhancements, and upgrades to both software and hardware, with responsibility to ensure products deliver required sales growth
- Build CLIQ sales and technology relevance via thorough voice-of-the-customer research to substantiate and lead development activities for new products, leveraging available technology when possible to maintain global efficiency
- Participate in the global development community, including identification of new technology opportunities and prioritization of CLIQ software and hardware projects
- Serve as primary contact for manufacturing resources for any issues related to the manufacture of CLIQ products
- Understand, articulate, and capture customer market problems and then translate them into future market requirements for product management, and maintain a three-year product roadmap
- Facilitate and promote effective communications between internal and external sales and support functions to ensure seamless transactions during order entry, production and delivery
- Create and utilize requirements documents, business plans and launch plans for new Medeco CLIQ products
- Review and report on activities and revenue on a monthly basis
- Suggest approaches to marketing and sales in order to drive platform growth
- Drive business by developing channel and consumer-oriented products that correspond with Medeco and ASSA ABLOY financial targets
- Assume responsibility for generating market trends, consumer insights, growth opportunities and idea generation to support product development
- Assume responsibility for product launches, marketing programs, promotions, events, collateral, and communications related to the CLIQ product platforms through a combination of personal efforts and leveraging of internal and external resources
- Assume responsibility for producing business forecasts and statistics among which are price points, product mix, sales history, and competition for CLIQ product introductions
What's in It for YouStrategic, global impact
Product managers play an important role at Medeco and, as subject matter expert, you'll be able to put your personal stamp on the function by helping take it to the next level. The impact will extend beyond Medeco, as we collaborate with other brands as well as with global product development and management groups.
Autonomy and resources
We know you'll bring strong experience and knowledge with you, so we'll expect you to assume ownership of the product line and run with it. You will enjoy a good deal of freedom to create, develop and deploy strategies and tactics. At the same time, you'll be part of a strong team, and able to share ideas and insights with internal resources as well as colleagues in other areas of ASSA ABLOY around the world.
Steady stream of diverse challenges
If you have been feeling stifled with a stagnant product line in your current role, you'll find the CLIQ Intelligent Key product line a breath of fresh air. We are constantly evolving the line to take advantage of the most current technologies. In addition, in order to provide the highest level of security, we reinvent our patented platforms on a regular basis. Continuous improvement is embedded in our culture.
It should be clear by now that there will be plenty to learn in this role, even for a seasoned professional like yourself. Prove yourself in this role -- both your product management expertise and your leadership savvy -- and you might set your sights on moving up to a Senior Product Management role or take on special project management responsibilities. In fact, this position is open because the incumbent is pursuing another opportunity within our organization.
We've created a culture that allows talented, energetic people to flourish. That culture includes a strong belief in the value delivered by our products and solutions, an emphasis on integrity and an appreciation for the power of teamwork. We're a dynamic organization that continues to develop its people. These are just some of the reasons we have low turnover and many of our employees have been here for years; people like working for our company.
Great place to live and work
The Roanoke Valley region (see video above) is home to over 300,000 people, making it the largest metropolitan area in Western Virginia and the heart of Virginia's Blue Ridge. Whether you prefer a city feel or one of our quaint surrounding small towns, there is something for everyone. Consider these accolades:
- Expansion Management magazine named Roanoke one of the top 50 hottest cities for expansions and relocations.
- Expansions Management also named the Roanoke Valley as a Five-Star Community for quality of life. The rating is based on reasonable cost of living, affordable housing, low crime, excellent transportation access, good public schools, proximity to community colleges and universities, an educated workforce, and low taxes.
- Named by Inc. Magazine as one of the 100 best places for business development.
- "Cities Ranked and Rated" ranked Roanoke as the 11th best city in the United States.
- Money Magazine ranked the Roanoke Valley as one of the top three "Best Places to Retire" in the United States.
- Ranked by Forbes.com as one of the 100 best places for businesses and careers.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer comprehensive benefits. These include all you would expect plus some pleasant surprises, such as a company contribution to your 401(k) account plus a matching program, and tuition reimbursement.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have a strong entrepreneurial spirit as well as the organizational smarts to navigate a global corporation. If you're like us, you see this as a "best of both worlds" opportunity: the fast pace and constant changes of an established organization that thinks like a startup along with the resources of a $7.6 billion industry leader. You'll need to be comfortable in the absence of extensive structure -- in fact, you will play an important role in developing the structure we need to thrive.
A crucial part of our success at Medeco and across ASSA ABLOY is a culture that places a high value on sharing a common vision, trusting one another, and being transparent. Add in your critical thinking skills and strong work ethic, and you should fit right in. As you can see in the video here, our teammates believe in our products.
Along with your product management expertise, you'll need solid leadership skills as you interact with diverse stakeholders. For the most part a collaborative approach will work well, but you'll also leverage your influencing and motivating skills. You should be prepared to "sell" your ideas internally. You'll take point on ensuring strong lines of communication in this matrixed organization, not only to keep stakeholders informed, but also to ensure that CLIQ products are constantly visible to the global community.
In addition, to be an outstanding Product Line Engineer, you will:
- Take a proactive approach to getting up to speed quickly with the product line, our business model and our markets
- Own, shape and communicate the big picture, but also pay attention to details.
- Adjust your communication style appropriately as you present to and interact with a wide array of audiences, from business leaders to marketing professionals to engineers.
- Combine an analytical approach with creativity in solving problems.
- Achieve goals independently, but also know when to ask for help.
About UsFor nearly 50 years, Medeco® has led the security industry in innovation and quality, guarding lives and assets at facilities worldwide. Medeco® locks are made with pride in the U.S.A. Our headquarters and manufacturing facility are located in Salem, Virginia and we employ approximately 250 people.
Medeco® locks protect U.S. government and military installations, both here and abroad, as well as schools and universities, hospitals and banks, vending machines and parking meters, homes and offices, and much, much more.
Founded in 1968, Medeco® is a market leader in locks and locking systems for security, safety, and control. The company's customer base includes wholesale and retail security providers, original equipment manufacturers, institutional, commercial, industrial, and residential end-users.
Medeco® is an ASSA ABLOY Group company. ASSA ABLOY is the global leader in door-opening solutions -- some you might already use on a daily basis without even thinking about it. The Group offers a more complete range of door opening solutions than any other company on the market. In the fast-growing electromechanical security segment, the Group has a leading position in areas such as access control, identification technology, entrance automation and hotel security. Since its formation in 1994, ASSA ABLOY has grown from a regional company into an international Group with some 43,000 employees operating in more than 70 countries. The Group has sales of around SEK 47 billion (US$ 7 billion).
ASSA ABLOY's mission is to provide complete opening solutions, backed by value-added services, to help people feel safer and more secure, thus creating more freedom in their lives.
We are an equal opportunity employer -- M/F/V/D.